Margaret Gollan: 1861 to 1930

Margaret Gollan [ born Margaret Shoesmith]

Born: 21/3/1861

Died: 30/6/1930

She married Hector Gollan in 1883 in Sydney.


The Northern Champion Wed 2 July 1930


After years of suffering, Mrs. Margaret Gollan, one of the best known residents of Tinonee, passed away at her home at l.30 p.m. on Monday.

Some 9 years ago the late Mrs. Gollan had a seizure and since then she has been more or less an invalid — being only able to walk about her own home.

A fortnight ago her condition became more serious, and during the flood it was necessary for Dr. Stokes to cross the swollen river to attend to her.

She lingered on until Monday and when the end came it was not unexpected.

The late Mrs. Gollan was a daughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. George Shoesmith, of Mitchell’s Island.

She was born on the river 69 years ago, and lived on the Manning all her life.

She was married in Sydney 47 years ago to her late husband, Captain Hector Gollan who died about 7 years ago.

After her marriage she made her home at Tinonee and remained there for the rest of her life.

During her long residence in Tinonee the late Mrs. Gollan took a keen interest in public affairs.

Her late husband was associated with most public movements and in this work he was ably supported by his wife.

She also took an interest in the hospital and organised balls and other functions for this institution until her illness.

She was always kind and helpful to those around her and did all she could to make her surroundings more pleasant.

Deceased is survived by the following sons — Messrs. Hector and George (Tinonee),

John (Bellview), Donald (Carter’s Island), and William, (Tinonee). There were no daughters.

The only brother is Mr. William. Shoesmith, of Harrington.

The surviving sisters are — Mesdames W. Benson (Waverley), McRae (Mitchell’s Island), William. McDonald (Taree), Alf. Rose (Taree), G. T. Clerke (Taree), A. W. Templeton (Oxley Island), and Oliver Davis (Stockton). Another sister was the late Mrs. George Dose, of Sydney.

The funeral left her late home at 2.30 p.m. on Tuesday, for the Tinonee cemetery.

An impressive service was conducted at the graveside by the Rev. N. MacLeod.

A large number of relatives and friends paid their last respects to a worthy citizen.

Mr. S. A. Bridge carried out the funeral arrangements.