John Gollan: 1858 to 1900

John Gollan Jnr

Born: 14/10/1858

Died: 12/12/1900

He married Isabella Stephens


The Manning River Times and Advocate for the Northern Coast Districts of New South Wales – Wed 19 Dec 1900



Irrespective of age, rank and station, or season of the year, we are constantly reminded of the brittleness of the thread of life.

It is now our painful duty to record the death, on Wednesday night last, at 1 o’clock, at his residence, the Jersey Hotel, Castlereagh and Park streets, Sydney, of Mr. John Gollan, youngest son of Mr. John Gollan, senr., of Tinonee, at the age of 42 years, his birthday being on the 14th October last, and his birth-place having been Purfleet.

Mr. Gollan had been ailing, off and on, for about a couple of years, but he had been able to get about up to a couple of days before his death, which resulted from a severe attack of influenza.

He was married to Miss Isabella Stephens, eldest daughter of Mr. John Stephens, of Taree Estate, who survives him, with a family of five— the eldest son being about 18 years of age.

The deceased gentleman was brother, to Captain H. Gollan, J.P., of Tinonee ; Mr. James Gollan, of Swan Bay, Richmond River; Mr. Thomas Gollan, of Sydney ; Mrs. W. J. Ellis, of Tinonee ; Mrs. John Allan, of Wingham; and Mrs. Donald McPhee, of the Richmond River.

After leaving school— Mr. Richard Churchill being his last teacher, at Tinonee— Mr. Gollan took to a seafaring life, and passed the Marine Board as a master mariner for the coast, and traded on the north coast for some years as captain of Mr. Thomas Gollan’s schooner Isabella Gollan. 

He was about the first person to convey sugar machinery to Rewa River, Suva, Fiji, in that vessel.

After spending some years at sea, the schooner was sold, and he then took his father’s estate near Tinonee, which he worked as a farmer for two or three years, during which time he entered into the matrimonial state.

He subsequently bought a farm on Wilson’s Creek, Bexhill, near Lismore, where he remained some six or seven years, when he purchased the Imperial Hotel at Lismore.

He kept that hostelry for a few years, and then took a trip to Europe for the benefit of his health.

On returning to the colony he went to Sydney to live, and became the landlord of the Jersey Hotel.

Mr. Gollan was known as a genial, warm hearted man, and his death in the prime of life will be deeply regretted by all who knew him.

The remains were interred on Friday morning in the Waverley Cemetery.