George Arthur Murray 1890 to 1940

Son of Archibald and Catherine Murray

Born: 30/6/1890

Died: 25/5/1940

Married Gladys Latimore in 1921 in Wingham.


The Hugh Murray~Margaret Beattie Family History 1996 by their descendants:

George Arthur Murray was a man with a great sense of humour, who enjoyed life and was a hard worker. H worked as a farmer and sleeper cutter until he was enlisted on 25 July 1916 to the 1st Pioneer Batallion, 7th Reinforcement Australian Imperial Force, . with the rank of Private [No 3155]. He returned from overseas service on 31 January 1918.

After his discharge from the Army, he did not enjoy the best of health, due to the fact that he had been gassed  by the enemy in France and, as a consequence, developed Tuberculosis [TB] of the lung. Even though he had poor health, he worked as a farmer until his health deteriorated and he was unable to continue. His daughter Audrey and son Fred, took over the farm work.

He spent a considerable amount of time in Randwick Hospital, Sydney, and Lady Davidson Home at Turramurra, Sydney. He was also sent out to Barradine to see if climate would improve his condition. There was no treatment for TB at that time, other than isolation and bed rest.

Eventually, the family lef the farm at Hillville and moved to Tinonee for some years, and then to Taree..In order to provide food and clothing for the family , his wife had to work very hard as a dressmaker. Despite numerous applications to the government to get a service pension, this was not granted.

He died as a result of his illness at Randwick Hospital at the age of 49 years.


The Obituary contained in the The Hugh Murray~Margaret Beattie Family History 1996 by their descendants reads:

“After a long and trying illness, Mr George Arthur Murray, of Taree, passed away in the Randwick Military Hospital on Saturday night. He enlisted in 1916 in the First Pioneer Battalion and served in France until early in 1918, when he was invalided home as a result of severe gassing and a leg injury.

On the voyage home he had to undergo the further strain of an operation for appendicitis. When he regained his health, he went on his parents old homestead at Bo Bo until 15 years ago when his war injuries again affected his health. He then came to Taree and was well enough at  various periods to attend to farm work and assist his brother as a carpenter, but about a month ago he found it necessary to enter the MRD Hospital in Taree, and two weeks ago, he was taken to the Randwick Hospital where the end came, as stated.

Deceased was a soon of the late Mr and Mrs Archibald Murray, and was born at Bo Bo Creek 49 years ago. Some 19 years ago he married Miss Gladys Latimore, daughter of Mrs Latimore and the late John Latimore of Burrell Creek.”

“The late Mr Murray was a keen tennis player. He was also an Oddfellow [Grand United Order of Oddfellows].

The funeral which was attended bu a number of returned soldiers,who paid their last respects to a comrade whose life was shortened as a result of his war servce, took place on Tuesday morning, following a service at the Free Presbyterian Church Tinonee at 11:00am. The remans were interred in the Tinonee Cemetery, Rev M C Ramsay conducting the services at the church and graveside.  Mr W T Howard carried out the funeral arrangements.


The Manning River Times and Advocate for the Northern Districts of New South Wales – Wednesday 29 May 1940


An echo of the Great War broke through at the weekend, when one who went forth from the Manning district to fight for his country died at Randwick Military Hospital as the result of wounds and gassing which he had received.

The victim was Mr. George Arthur Murray and his age was 49 years.

He was a son of the late Mr. and Mrs. Archie Murray, of Tinonee, who for many years resided on the Bo Bo, where he was born.

In 1916 he heard, the call of Empire for help and enlisted with the First Pioneer Battalion as BS private.

He saw active service and was wounded in the leg in France in 1918, and gassed as well, causing him to be invalided back to Australia.

On the voyage home he developed appendicitis and was operated on, but recovered from that trouble.

After his arrival in Australia, some years ago, he was married to Miss Gladys Latimore, daughter of Mrs Latimore and the late J Latimore, of Burrell Creek.

He appeared to be doing well from his war and gas injuries until some 14 years ago when he became ill, and from then on suffered much.  

At various times he lived at Taree and Tinonee.

On April 23 he was taken to the M.R.D. Hospital, and after treatment there, it was deemed advisable on May 13 to send him to the Randwick Military Hospital where he passed away at 9.30 on Saturday night.

The late Mr. Murray was in health a fine type of young Australian with all the loyalty and love of the homeland of his Scottish forefathers.

 When he heard the call of war he did not hesitate and did his duty to his King and to his country.

He is survived by a widow and the following family: Messrs Oscar Murray (Taree), Fred (Burrell Creek), and Robert (at home), and Misses Audrey Murray (nurse at Gladesville Hospital), Elaine and Gladys (both at home). One daughter, Pamela, predeceased her father.

Surviving brothers are: Messrs Edwin Murray (builder, Taree); Albert (Taree); and Denny and Leonard (Tinonee).

On Monday, Mr Howard took his hearse to Sydney to bring the body to Taree to arrive yesterday (Tuesday) morning and a service was to have been held at Tinonee Free Presbyterian Church by the Rev M C Ramsay, MA at 11 o’clock after which the remains were to have been taken to the Tinonee Cemetery for interment, where the reverend gentleman was to have completed the service.

Mr. W. T. Howard had charge of the mortuary arrangements.